Latkes are a traditional Hanukkah staple food—shredded potatoes lightly fried in oil and normally served with a side of applesauce. While these little potato pancakes are delicious, they can also wreak havoc on your diet. We came across a recipe for latkes with a kick on allparenting.com that’s healthier; it’s less greasy, less sugar and it includes Greek yogurt (our favorite!).
Latkes with Chipotle Maia Yogurt sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Maia yogurt
- 1 chipotle pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Canola oil
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together the Maia yogurt, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, lime juice and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F, and prepare 2 large baking sheets covered in canola oil.
- Shred the potatoes; add them, along with the green onions, cilantro, egg, flour, salt and pepper, to a bowl and mix together.
- Place the prepared baking sheet in the over for 5 minutes.
- Using about 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture for each pancake, drop the pancakes onto the hot baking sheet and press down slightly to spread out the pancake.
- Bake until the pancakes are golden brown on the bottom, about 12 minutes. Flip the pancakes and bake until they are brown on the other side, about 6 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining potato mixture and the second baking sheet.
- Serve hot with a dollop of chipotle Maia yogurt on top and enjoy!